Veterans! The objective of this position is to prepare candidates to become Extruder Operators. The trainee will learn in an on the job environment, as well as, documentation review and computer study. Trainee will work to understand and demonstrate all the responsibilities of an Extruder Operator 1. Dependability is an essential part of this job as well as the ability to team with co-workers.
Safety is critical to every position and person within CertainTeed and within the Buffalo Plant. There is no task or assignment performed without safety at the forefront of our thoughts and actions. The business has an absolute commitment to safety above all else. The position will be expected to use continuous improvement tools and principles to improve safety, quality, service, and efficiency of our operations.
Trainee will be expected to describe and demonstrate the following prior to advancement:
- Ensuring the safety, quality, housekeeping, 5S and KOI performance for the assigned line or area as directed by the Supervisor or Shift Lead
- Perform start-up and set-up duties, ensuring lines are ready for production
- Perform color and product changes according to plant procedures
- Ensure all hoppers are filled with correct material and that lines are set up for efficient production
- Performs all quality tests per required frequency and adheres to the Buffalo plant quality standards
- Perform adjustments to extrusion equipment and tooling to maintain quality specifications, clean and assemble tooling as needed, perform adjustments to line
- Setup and monitor downstream equipment (where applicable): puller, saw, router, strapper, wrapper, capping machine, boxing area, vacuum lift, sawzall guard
- Complete work requests for maintenance repairs on the extrusion line
- Process line paperwork, checklists, shift management, P&E sheets
- Ensure that product is packaged according to established specifications.
- Demonstrates good communication skills to Packer, B Operator, Lead, and Supervisor
- Relieve packers for breaks
- Perform housekeeping and 5S duties
- Assist other operators and packers with line issues
- Basic troubleshooting of equipment and process issues. Seek assistance from others as needed.
- Complete the Paulsen Extrusion Training
- Become certified in forklift operation
- Performing STOP safety audits and entering data in Auditmatic (STOP Database).
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITY:
- High School Graduate or GED
- Must be able to read, write, and perform basic math.
- Must have basic computer skills
- Communicate effectively with supervisor and co-workers
- Must have mechanical aptitude and be able to use basic hand tools
- Must have a minimum of 3 months experience working as a General Support: packaging and working with downstream extrusion equipment (internal candidates only). External candidates will spend the first 3 months as a General Support.
- Physical requirements of this position may include standing and walking for the duration of the shift, bending, pushing, pulling, torqueing, lifting up to 25 pounds independently, and climbing stairs
- Will be working around hot equipment and working with PVC compound
- May be asked to work other shifts
- May be asked to work in other departments as determined by business demands
- Must be willing to participate in plant improvement projects and participate in WCM
- Wear required PPE.
- Follow all Company Policies.